Terms Of Reference Consultancy To Establish The State Of Adaptation Finance In Uganda
Rural Action Community Based Organisation (RACOBAO) is a local national Organisation and a member of the Act Alliance operating in six districts of Uganda, in both humanitarian response and development work. RACOBAO thematic focus areas include; resilience building, livelihoods and community economic transformation, Education, Disaster Risk Reduction, climate justice, gender justice and policy advocacy. RACOBAO headquarters is based in Lyantonde, with additional Sub-offices located throughout the country, in the districts of Sembabule, Kamwenge, Rakai, Mubende and Lwengo.
Uganda has undertaken steps to advance climate action as evidenced in its raised ambition in the updated Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) 2022. The National Climate Change Act 2021 is yet another significant milestone as it gives the force of law to the operationalization of the Paris Agreement. As per the costed NDC, Uganda requires USD 28.1 billion in climate financing from both domestic and international sources. However, there is need to establish how much Uganda has accessed and mobilized to address adaptation needs since the development of NDC1 which has been updated to NDC2.
In addition, the government of Uganda is required to mobilize new and additional climate financing in the next 15 years to meet the growing cost of addressing climate change. It is estimated that the cost of inaction over the period 2010-2050 is between USD 273 – 437 billion.
ACT Alliance through RACOBAO has prioritized climate change advocacy and continues to engage communities in local adaptation actions and advocacy to inform decision making on adaptation finance and build resilience. Climate Change has increasingly been a threat to lives, destruction of properties and livelihoods of the grassroots communities which impacts have had persistent long-term and negative effects on poverty and human development. Therefore, strengthening community resilience and adaptation to climate change becomes is critical, however, all this is possible with adaptation finance in place. The outcome of the study will be used to engage duty bearers on decisions, legislative policy engagement, budget allocation and climate actions to reduce climate change related vulnerabilities of the local communities.
- SCOPE OF WORK
Under the supervision of RACOBAO, the Consulting Firm or individual is expected to undertake an assessment of adaptation finance landscape in Uganda. The overall scope will be to interrogate Uganda’s adaptation finance allocations, distribution, gaps, challenges and lessons in its mobilization and access in the last 3 years.
Specifically, the scope will be;
- Review climate finance sources for Uganda’s adaptation measures
- Review of current climate finance flows and expenditures
- Review implementation of adaptation programs in Uganda.
- Review plans by government to mobilize adaptation finance for Uganda.
- Facilitate various bilateral and stakeholder validation workshops of draft reports produced.
In providing the technical support, the Consulting Firm or expert will among others conduct interviews and surveys. Specifically, the Consultant will produce the following reports and deliverables:
|Approved inception report showing methodology, relevant documents for review,
Minutes of multi-sectoral committee on consideration of inception report
|Draft Climate Finance Report
|Draft Climate Finance Report
|Final Draft 1
|Final draft Climate Finance Report
|Final draft report
|Draft report reviewed
|Climate Finance Report
Minutes approving Climate Finance Report
- QUALIFICATIONS/MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
The Consultancy Firm or Expert should have the following:
- At least five (05) years’ work experience with climate finance expertise;
- Proven experience with the debt capital market, including green bond market and assisting with other green bond initiatives;
- Experience with the United Nations Framework Convention on climate change (UNFCCC) processes.
- Experience with international finance institutions, multilateral development banks, development finance institutions, with focus on climate finance in developing countries
- Experience in working with government of Uganda on climate finance.
- Good understanding of Uganda’s climate change discourse.
- Demonstrate experience in consultative research and producing high quality analyses;
- The Consultants should have competencies of advanced degrees in any other relevant discipline.
- At least 05 years’ experience in the climate finance engagements.
- Practical Experience in undertaking similar market assessment assignments would be an asset.
- Experience working with Development Finance Institutions and strategic donors at the international and regional level.
- Certification in green finance or sustainable finance would be an asset.
- DURATION /TIMELINES
The work is expected to start once the contract is signed by the Firm or expert and expected to be completed in approximately 3 months.
- REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
The Firm (Consultants) will work and report directly to the RACOBAO Executive Director who will cause approval of all deliverables of acceptable quality.